Copy and paste are two essential functions people use in mobile devices such as laptops. If you also carry your laptop with you, it’s usually inconvenient to connect a mouse every time you use your device. So, you would like to know how to copy and paste on laptop without mouse?
Simply, it involves selecting the text, opening the context menu, and copying and pasting through the provided options using the trackpad. It can be easily done on a Windows laptop and a MacBook. You can also use the keyboard to perform the functions through shortcuts.
How to Copy and Paste on Laptop without Mouse?
Laptops are equipped with a touchpad or trackpad along with control buttons. This allows for cursor movement and selecting the content to copy and then paste it.
However, you can also press specific keys on the keyboard.
Below are the different ways:
For Windows Laptop:
- Move and place the cursor to the beginning or end of the text you want to select.
- Press and hold down the left control button below the touchpad. While holding, move another finger in the direction you want to select the text along with the touchpad.
- Release the left control button when done with text selecting.
- Press the right trackpad button so that a menu appears. Use the touchpad and left trackpad button to select “Copy”.
- Place the cursor in the program or place you want to paste the text. Press the right trackpad button and select “Paste” in the menu that appears. This will paste the selected text.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts
- Move and place the cursor to the beginning or end of the text to be copied using the arrow keys.
- Press and hold the Shift key and then press the arrow keys to select the text. Release the Shift key once done. If you want to select the entire text you can press and hold Ctrl and then press A.
- Press and hold Ctrl and then press C to copy the selected text.
- Place the cursor where you want to paste the text using the arrow keys.
- Press and hold Ctrl and then press V to paste the selected text.
Make sure you do not press Ctrl+X as that would cut the text. Cutting taste will allow you to paste is somewhere else using Ctrl+vV, however, the original text/object would be lost.
For simplicity, just memorize the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V commands.
Also Read: How to Update BIOS Without CPU?
- Start at the top or end of the text you want to copy. Press and hold the trackpad and then drag the cursor over the area of the text. This will make the text highlighted.cm
- Tap on the trackpad with two fingers to bring up the menu.
- Select “Copy” and head over to the program where you want to paste the text.
- Tap again on the trackpad with two fingers to make the menu appear.
- Select “Paste” and then your text will be pasted.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts:
- Make sure your cursor is placed at the beginning or end of the text that is to be copied.
- Hold down the Shift key and then use the arrow keys to select the text.
- Press and hold Command and then C to copy the selected text.
- Set the cursor where you want to paste the text.
- Press and hold Command and then V to paste the text.
Hence you can see here that the process of copy and pasting is straight forward on both windows and mac based laptops.
If you do not have mouse or if your track pad is malfunctioning, you can use keyboard to perform the copy and paste command.
Also Read: How to Check if CPU is overclocked?